In celebration of the Olympic Games, Canadian Olympian and world champion, Karen Furneaux shares how she steps up her game with protein shakes for muscle gain.
As an athlete and someone who wants to stay active, a combination of a healthy diet, nutritional supplementation, exercise that I enjoy, along with appropriate rest, helps me to feel and perform my best.
Although convenient when on-the-go, protein bars are often loaded with added sugars. Therefore, a high-quality protein powder can be a much healthier option. My personal preference is a plant-based, organic protein powder made from whole food ingredients. If you are looking to add more protein to your diet, whether you are trying to gain muscle mass or maintain a healthy lifestyle, incorporating a high-quality protein supplement can help you meet your goals. Choose a protein powder that you trust, enjoy, and will use! Nova Scotia Organics’ plant-based protein powder is my choice. It is a product that I trust, and 100% stand behind!
I add Nova Scotia Organics protein powder to my recipes, sauces, curries, muffins, smoothies and even to my hot chocolate! Any chance to amp up protein to step up my game! Here are a few delicious recipes for my favourite protein shakes for muscle gain and warm, comforting recipes for cold winter days. Measurements are approximate, customize to taste!
– Karen Furneaux @strongbeautytribe
My Go-to Icy Mocha Cholo Latte Protein Drink!
I love to drink some of this in preparation for and during my morning workout. I then finish it post-workout to help boost my energy levels.
- 🧊 1 scoop of Nova Scotia Organics plant-based protein powder (chocolate)
- 🧊 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 🧊 1 cup cold coffee
- 🧊 Lots of ice!
Turmeric Golden Milk
Here’s how I make it:
- 💛 1 can full-fat coconut milk
- 💛 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 💛 1 scoop of Nova Scotia Organics plant-based protein powder (original)
- 💛 Large dash of turmeric
- 💛 Large dash of ginger
- 💛 Large dash of cinnamon
- 💛 Ground black pepper
- 💛 Local honey to taste
Whisk all ingredients over medium heat. Do not bring to a boil.
Enjoy in your favourite mug!
This drink is cozy, comforting, creamy, and a touch spicy. It has so many health benefits!
Turmeric contains curcumin, and it is the spice that gives curry its yellow colour. Curcumin is further activated with black pepper making it easier to absorb. Curcumin has powerful anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties, and the protein powder will keep your energy high and feeling satisfied. Curcumin is also fat-soluble, meaning it breaks down or dissolves in fat or oil, which is why it’s made with coconut milk!
Give it a go!
Spicy Hot Chocolate
I love Nova Scotia Organics’ chocolate protein powder formula because it is organic, gluten and dairy-free, plant-based (causes no gut upset), and it tastes delicious!
- 🍫 1 scoop of Nova Scotia Organics plant-based protein powder (chocolate). Mix with just enough water to dissolve the protein at room temperature. **I would not try this with any other protein powder, as the flavour is amazing.
- 🍫 1 dash cinnamon
- 🍫 1 dash red cayenne pepper
- 🍫 Add hot water (not boiling)
- 🍫 Cream (optional)
- 🍫 Marshmallows (optional)
- 🍫 Chocolate chunks (optional)
Stir and enjoy. Sip slowly!
Peanut Butter Energy Bars
This is the perfect healthy snack before or after a cold winter run.
- ⚡1 1/2 cups organic gluten-free oats
- ⚡Chia seeds
- ⚡Pumpkin seeds
- ⚡1/2 cup nut butter of choice
- ⚡2 Tbsp melted coconut oil
- ⚡Mini dark chocolate chips
- ⚡1/2 cup local maple syrup
- ⚡3 Tbsp Nova Scotia Organics plant-based protein powder (chocolate)
Optional Chocolate Glaze
- 1/2 cup melted dark chocolate chips
- 2 tsp melted coconut oil
- 1/4 tsp instant espresso powder
- 1/4 tsp vanilla
- Sea salt to taste
Top with Nova Scotia Organics freeze-dried blueberries. Customize to create your own energy bar! Enjoy!
Get the scoop on our Nova Scotia Organics plant-based protein powders and create your favourite protein shakes for muscle gain:
Karen Furneaux | Canadian Olympian, Sports Hall of Fame Athlete and International Speaker. She helps individuals and teams connect to the gold within through keynotes, workshops and wellness programs.
Nova Scotia Organics brand ambassador